I feel that someone who deserves a mention in the Village News is Kevin Boor.
The path alongside the main A6121 road between Belmesthorpe turn and Ryhall had become quite narrow because of the overgrown hedge.
Kevin has selflessly spent days bringing the path back to its original width.
I walk along this path almost every day and have noticed the absolutely fantastic job he has made of it. We can now walk side by side with over a metre between us!
Well done Kevin – your time and hard work is greatly appreciated.
Do we have more local heroes? Send details to the editor know if so.
Gardening Tasks For April
- Order summer bedding and hanging basket plants if you haven’t already done so.
- Give your greenhouse a good clean to get rid of pests and diseases and let in more light.
- Lift and divide perennial plants to improve vigour and create new plants for your garden.
- Check any tree stakes and ties to make sure they’re not cutting into the trunk.
- Prune Forsythia as soon as it has finished flowering, cutting back to strong, young shoots.
- Remove faded flowers from winter pansies to stop them setting seed and to encourage new flowers.
- Deadhead daffodils and tulips as flowers fade, leaving foliage to die back naturally (not tied up in a knot!) .
- Repair any bare patches in your lawn by sowing grass seed.
- Apply a high-nitrogen fertiliser to your lawn.
- Aerate your lawn by spiking with a garden fork.